Welcome to our Special Needs Community!
WHO WE ARE
We are a creative and innovative London-wide social enterprise created by a team of experienced parent carers to provide support, empower and connect families. Special Needs Community (SNC), welcomes and supports all families with children, young people or young adults with special educational needs or disability from ANY background or disability in ANY borough of London and Greater London. We offer free membership, support the whole family and we are particularly passionate about the welfare and wellbeing of parent/carers and helping them to stay healthy, so they can be in a better position to continue to be a carer. We have an extensive London network and specialist on the SEND Local Offer. We also manage and run the London SEND Directory, which helps parent/carers and professionals find SEND related information, borough by borough. Please visit www.specialneedscommunity.co.uk
WHAT WE DO AND HOW CAN WE SUPPORT YOU
SNC is a parent support group for parents set up by parents. We are in your corner, offering emotional support, a sounding board, and essentially a backstop for parent carers, helping you to navigate the SEND landscape and to join the dots between all the major departments of Education, Health and Social Care. Parent Carers are probably the only group in society who have to navigate all 3 departments simultaneously and this can be challenging and overwhelming. We help you see the bigger picture and keep you on track for what to expect on your SEND journey and what comes next, very much like a new driver learning to drive on the M25!
- Information (benefits, housing, short breaks/respite, play opportunities, help finding specialist professionals/services; e.g. EHC plans or Child in Need/Carer’s Assessments)
- Support (one-to-one chat from an experienced Community Champion, contact professionals or departments on your behalf)
- Services (mentoring, advocacy, support at meetings, preparation for meetings, training on SEND Law, help to fill in forms/applications)
- Wellbeing & Wellness courses
- Therapeutic events to help you relax (massage, beauty)
- Social events (to help you connect with other parents and families and a special group for Dads)
Our other current projects include:
- London SEND Directory (local SEND information borough by borough)
- We Want To Play Too! Campaign for inclusive and disability-friendly play equipment in local parks
- My SEND File, (special filing system to help you keep on top of important SEND paperwork)
- Max Card (special needs discount card- currently only for Harrow residents)
- London Inclusive and All-Ability Adventure Playground (campaign for free specialist playground for all disabilities and promotion for a network of inclusive free play spaces across London)
- Community Champions Network (learn new skills and train to become a change maker and support your own community with the support of a strong network of Community Champions across London)
We are self-funded and supported by various funding bodies including the National Lottery- Community Fund for specific projects. We provide most of our support for free and only charge a small fee for access to other support or services or products to ensure we are able to maintain the services for others in the future. Most members of the team are volunteer parent/carers themselves passionate about helping the community. We welcome all enquiries and if we are not able to help, we will (with your permission), find you an alternative professional/ department/organisation from our extensive network locally and across London and neighbouring boroughs and counties.
MEET THE MANAGEMENT TEAM
BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE! JOIN OUR COMMUNITY CHAMPIONS NETWORK
Whether you are a parent or carer, a life with special needs can be very challenging. There are a growing number of support organisations and facilities to help you create a better quality of life for you and your family.
We were set-up to serve families, parents, carers, children and young people with special needs and disabilities in London. We also work with our wider network of professionals in our community.
SHARE YOUR SPECIAL NEEDS JOURNEY AND EXPERIENCE WITH US AND DROP US AN EMAIL ON INFO@SPECIALNEEDSCOMMUNITY.ORG.UK.
If you would like to make a donation to us then please either contact us or send a cheque made payable to:
SPECIAL NEEDS COMMUNITY CIC
Special Needs Community C.I.C
Cedars Hall, Artillery Place, Chicheley Road,
Harrow, Middlesex HA3 6QJ
TO JOIN THE TEAM OR FOR GENERAL ENQUIRIES
PLEASE GET IN TOUCH
- Visit our main website: www.specialneedscommunity.org.uk
- Visit us on Facebook: facebook.com/specialneedscommunitylondon
- Visit us on Instagram: Instagram.com/specialneedscommunitylondon
- Visit us on Twitter: twitter.com/snclondon
- Visit us on Youtube: Special Needs Community London UK
TO JOIN THE TEAM AS A COMMUNITY CHAMPION OR FOR GENERAL ENQUIRIES, YOU CAN ALSO GET IN TOUCH BY:
- Telephone: 07359030510
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Cedars Hall, Artillery Place, Chicheley Road, Harrow HA3 6QJ